Monday, June 01, 2009

Chandler "Microsoft" Bing :-)

I took a look at Microsoft's new search engine "Bing". I was quite impressed with it. Maybe because by now Microsoft is just known for not getting "search" right :-). So the bar was quite low. However I liked what I saw.
At the "AllThingsD" conference last week Steve Ballmer was asked about the name "Bing". He said that they didn't want users to keep clicking back and forth. It tried to do more that simply find the best links and put those in front of the user. Fair enough.

When I heard the name, the first thing that came to my mind was "Chandler Bing" :-). Maybe because I am huge F.R.I.E.N.D.S. fan. But the name 'Bing' is almost synonymous to Chandler Bing and thereby Matthew Perry. I wonder why Microsoft hasn't yet taken Matthew Perry ("Chandler Bing" from F.R.I.E.N.D.S) as their brand ambassador. Chandler was smart, witty, funny, had a job in "Data processing and statistical analysis" and very very popular; not too different from what Microsoft is trying to achieve. If they used Jerry Seinfeld for the brand name "Microsoft", they could've easily gone with Matthew Perry for their search business.

And one by one they could introduce new features named Monica (where they keep the search engine clean), Joey ("date" search), Ross (academia search), Rachel (deals search) and Phoebe (?? search) :D. Maybe this could be the way of bringing all the six of them together again!! As is, we hardly see anyone from the F.R.I.E.N.D.S. starcast these days.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger M said...

awesome post :)

6:47 PM  
Blogger anonymouse said...

Brilliant dude!

10:21 AM  
Blogger Melvin said...

witty mate!!!!
Like it....

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web